Sunday, January 13, 2008

What to listen to on a 6 hour bike ride?

Well, 6 hours is still a few months away probably, but it's a likelihood that I'll become rather bored with the hyper-literate indie pop that I tend to take on the road. Now for those concerned for my safety, or more likely, the safety of others, let me assure you that I only use one earphone while cycling, so I stay generally aware of my surroundings.

What I'm curious about is audiobooks (preferably titles in the public domain that should, I'd hope, be free). Alternatively, I could stick with podcasts. I like the idea of audiobooks though because A) I'm pedantic and like to cite books I've recently read in thoroughly unneeded ways in cocktail party conversation and B) because I would think the content is a bit more predictable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cliff-blocks are one of my favorite on the bike snacks. And for gel's there are several good ones. I really like the cola flavor from Enervit. Check out this link for some good options.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=7&major=7&minor=3

For bars I like powerbar's harvest bar. and of course the old stand-by, snickers. If you're talking a long ride of 4-6 hours, then just pack your pockets full and dont worry too much about fats vs. proteins vs. carbs etc. Raisins, bananas, fig newtons, pb&j sandwiches, bars, gels, etc., just bring plenty (side note: jelly belly makes these energy jelly beans now that are pretty yummy).

I usually just stick to water and gatorade on the bike but i'm not the best resource. if you're thinking of getting a more specialized sports drink, maybe a post ride recovery drink would be a good option.

Anonymous said...

As far as music on long bike rides: get a set of AirDrives headphones. They don't block your ear, and they are made for running and cycling. I love mine.

As far as nutrition, my faves for the long-haul stuff are Hammer HEED and Perpeteum, along with Honey Stinger gels and basic Nature Valley granola bars.