Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Diet redux, Ironmen, and a Predawn Swim

A shopping trip today resulted in some good finds. First, raisins. Apparently very alkaline - good for retaining muscle mass. Second, avacados and salsa - this will hopefully become a mid-afternoon snack from now on. Some good fat and fiber. Almonds - delicious and good fat too. Finally, cliff bar energy bars and protein bars on the cheap. Lots of chocolate and peanut butter.

More importantly though, although I'm learning better how to work at my diet, it remains really challenging. For example, how much carbohydrates are appropriate after a short work out? Will a cliff bar be the right thing to eat after a long run that drains glycogen? Finally, I still need to drop about 20-25 lbs, so do I do that by skimping on pre-post carbs, forcing my body to pull energy from fat cells to replace glycogen? Does that even work?

I've been listening to a great podcast - Ironman Talk. Two New Zealanders with some good Ironman experience. Like nearly all type A early 30s men who come to triathlon, I'm of course fixated with competing in an Ironman distance race (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, 26.2 mile run - a total of 140.6). People spend years preparing for such things. I'm hoping to do one in late September or October. Crazy? Yes. Dangerous? Possibly.

Finally, today was the first schedule two-a-day work out. I've join the ranks of seriously OCD triathletes and high school football players (at least in august). It wasn't easy to get up, but, with some internal debate, I got myself up and to the gym. Here's to many more two-a-day tuesdays.

No comments: