Saturday, January 26, 2008

On a cold winter's day

I had high hopes for today's ride. I planned for 60-75 miles, but it was very cold and I had on gloves that were much lighter than were really required, so I returned home after only 25 miles. Nonetheless, it wasn't a complete waste of time and I recorded some good data. Thanks to my newly acquired GPS heart rate monitor, I can tell that although I averaged only .2 MPH slower than last week's ride, my heart rate stayed 12 BPM lower on average than last weeks ride. In principle, this should mean I'm a bit more fit than last week.

Another observation - I downloaded a copy of The Imperial Life in the Emerald City and listened to the first few chapters while on the road. I've been wanting to investigate whether its practical to ride while digesting information, and it seemed to work. Of course, buying audiobooks regularly would be pretty costly, so I think in the future I'll tend towards more public domain classics, or podcasts, but nonetheless, it seems like a promising concept.

Finally, I'm considering adding a few more events for the summer. I'm not sure that's a good idea, but what the hell.

The events I'm considering are:
The Black Bear half Iron triathlon on 1 June in Pennsylvania
The Mountaineer Triathlon on 28 June in Morgantown WV
The NJ State Triathlon on 27 July in New Jersey

Stayed tuned for updates on the schedule

No comments: