Sunday, January 13, 2008

Endurance diet

As I mentioned in a previous post, there is apparently much to be said for having a purpose for each training session. In the same vein, I'm hoping to give much more thought to what I eat. My diet usually consists of a lot of carbohydrates, a lot of dairy, gallons of diet coke, and lean and not so lean protein. I occasionally eat vegetables, and more rarely, fruit.

This is not going to work, of course.

Nutritionists seem to think that an endurance athlete's diet should consist primarily of lean protein, vegetables and fruit, with some good fats like avocados, low-fat yogurt, olive oil, etc. Carbohydrates are part of the diet during endurance sessions and immediately afterwards, to replenish the glycogen.

This will be a struggle for me, but there's no point to building a better engine without more properly fueling it.

No comments: