Sunday, January 13, 2008

Things I don't entirely understand

I have some residual ignorances that I hope to rectify over the coming months. Do you have answers?

Nutrition on the bike - bars versus gels, cytomax versus gatorade versus water? I assume there's a time and place for each, but I wish I knew how to plan out bike nutrition a little better.

Just how many bikes - is it enough to just have aero bars? I like my roadbike. Should I get a tri bike though? I'd say aero bars would hack it but A) I like toys and B) I am planning for some long races, so where's the line? Secondly, if I had a tri bike, would I never ride my road bike again? Ideally, I'd like to think that I'd do Saturday's long rides on a a tri bike, and get back on road bike for Sunday group rides, plus afterwork rides as the days lengthen and I can get out of the gym, but who knows.

Pedals - currently I have SPDs. Good entry level pedals, but I fear probably a little heavy for a long day of pedaling. Look is a sentimental favorite for me given their sponsorship of Alberto Tomba some years back, but Speedplay claims to be healthier on the knees.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beer dude.

Anonymous said...

speedplay

Anonymous said...

Okay, I know I'm late to the game here, but here's my take on pedals:

Speedplay are easiest on the knees, but the least walk-friendly of the bunch.

I'm partial to Shimano's SPD-SL pedals, especially the wider-platform units they now ship.

Looks are good, too, but the Keo cleats have been trouble. Nice pedals, though.

Time makes a great pedal, as well, built like a tank (but substantially lighter than one).

Crank Brothers' Quattro is a great road pedal, too.

And if you want any of these, look to Pro Bike Kit for great prices.