Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Marathon

My apologies for not writing this up sooner. In any event, last Saturday was my first marathon. Here's the data. It was an amazing time. The morning started out rather cool - the race began at 7AM - and I dressed warmly. I thought I would get overheated quickly, but I felt fine the entire day. I went out at a slow pace and stayed with the crowd. I achieved my first goal of not dropping out before getting to the points where I knew people would be cheering for me. I felt increasingly better as the day went on, especially after the 13.1 mark when I A) got to go to the bathroom and B) the water stops started giving out GU. Mmmm, GU. Vanilla, chocolate - even unflavored was great. After I took on a decent amount of fuel, I felt like I could really push it the last 7 miles or so, and I did, passing what must have been a hundred runners. I even kicked as hard as I could at the finish.

All in all, it was an amazing time. I didn't think I would enjoy the actual marathon so much as look back upon it fondly, but it was great. My need for competition will be met again this coming Sunday in a 10 mile race. Until then....

No comments: