Saturday, April 5, 2008

Just another day at the office

Well, not exactly. However, I did put in a solid eight hours with a massive bike/run brick Saturday. Here's the ride - 114 miles over seven hours and the run - a modest, hour long 10K. The ride was, well, long. Longest ever actually. It was a nice day, not too hot or cold, and I felt like I could just keep going. I went through three GUs, two cliff bars, and five water bottles of sports drink. That's something like 1900 calories. I believe for the day I probably burned somewhere around 5K calories, so all in all, a pretty monster day.

The problem is I can't get to sleep and I have a 10 mile race for which I need to be up in 4.5 hours. Now time like the present then for some blogging. After last week's marathon, I took a day off, but then went at it pretty hard all week. If I recall correctly, a short swim and then a spin and yoga on Monday. A hard 5 mile run on Tuesday, then a hard spin and yoga. A 1600 meter swim on Wednesday, and on Friday, 2K in the pool, a spin and a medium long run of 8.5 miles. So some pretty high volume efforts for the week following the marathon.

First triathlon of the season is less than two weeks away. It will be A) cold, and B) a bigger effort than I had hoped. Half iron distance is something I perhaps have not respected as much as I should. Oh well, only one way to learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try some yoga breathing to help you sleep.

And good luck with the race tomorrow. I hope the rain has stopped by then and that it's cool and dry.