Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Century of Fakers

A glorious day here today and so I took the opportunity to go long. Because, well, why not. Here's the track. As you can see, 102 miles over slightly more than six hours. Not speedy, but a fair effor that didn't feel particularly tiring. At times, when I wanted to accelerate, I was able to pull away from everyone riding around me. I feel like I'm beginning to be able to generate decent speed, although of course I cannot maintain such bursts as long as I'd like.

In part, having thought about speed, I realize that I'm much weaker than I would have thought. If I could go back in time, I'd devote much more time to strength training and proper protein-laden nutrition in the winter to develop more power.

I believe I will try to go for an early ride on flat ground with tri bike tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll be well recovered and I can go even faster. If not, I will have racked up a century-ride distance today with nothing but fake progress.

1 comment:

Karen Gasper said...

Glad to see you are writing again! Congrats on the long ride this weekend.