Sunday, April 13, 2008

Long. Slow. Cold. Grey. These things buy speed.

After yesterday's amazing weather, it was cold and grey here today. Not ideal. Nonetheless, I hadn't run in nearly a week and it was time. So I went - here's the track. Much slower than I had hoped to do and a bit of an IT band recurrence and that was less than pleasant. It still hurts, so I plan to A) use the foam roller all week and B) really just swim and done maybe one light run. Today's 13.1 took nearly two hours (1:59 something). The goal for Saturday's race is to do that in 1:45. That, plus a solid ride and a good swim will equal a five hour 70.3 distance race. That would be a solid start to the season. But its going to hurt. I wondered to myself where the line is between pain that indicates something is wrong and pain that means one is expending every effort. I've built up a tolerance for pain and now I want to use it to buy speed. I have put in the time when it's cold, windy, raining, evening hailing. I have stayed out long when it hurt. I have done the work that my competitors perhaps have not yet done.

I'll end with a quote from Steve Prefontaine -
"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more."

Come Saturday, I look forward to seeing what I possess in my gut.

No comments: