Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hamstrung by a Hamstring

So last week was the big 21 mile run. It was great, a confidence builder, etc. Except that I did something to my right hamstring and I haven't been able to run since. Not so good. I've tried to rest it, but I haven't been as disciplined as I should be, so it's lagging. Its good to take a light week, after all the base period is supposed to include increasingly higher volume weeks followed by a recovery week. I just hope it gets better soon. I tried to participate in a club duathlon Saturday morning, but I had to pull out after just 1/2 a mile because it hurt.

On the other hand, I've been swimming more. At least oneK during the week and yesterday for a monster fourK session (i.e. 2.5 miles). It took about 90 minutes. At first, I got tired and my heart rate was high, but I think I calmed down and finished feeling rather strong. My set included 2400 continuous meters, which is a long swim. I'm pretty happy.

Finally, I did a VO2 max session last Tuesday, and that was rather cool. My VO2 is 62.5 - a fairly respectable number, given elite athletes are often between 70-80. It makes me think that if I keep training, shed the last few pounds, get strong and stay healthy, I could be a competitive age grouper at some point. Of course, who knows.

No comments: