Sunday, February 10, 2008

Volume and recovery

A busy week with no posting. In part, I think that's because I was at the gym until late in the evening Monday and Tuesday, and somewhat sick Thursday through, well, I guess I'm still sick. However, I still made it to the gym Friday, and got in long sessions over the weekend.

Saturday was a very long day indeed. Despite being a bit chilly, and waking up with a sore throat, I managed to get out an 80 mile ride. I took two sportdrinks with me, rather than water, and I suspect that made the difference. I think I could have gone on another 32 miles for the full Iron distance ride. A very good sign for February I think. I came home and dutifully did a quick 5K. Nothing too special. Upon getting home, I immediately downed a serving of Endurox, which worked wonders. I recovered well, had no soreness, and felt really good. In fact, I was a bit energetic all evening. I also listened to several episodes of my favorite podcast, Ironmantalk. They have a camp in the Pyrenees for 4 days in late June that looks tempting. I've inquired about space.

Sunday, it was unbelievably windy. Holy cow. I went for a medium-short ride and a medium-slow run. I tried to stay within a zone 2 HR for the run, and it pushed me to a 10 minute mile pace. Lame. I clearly stink as a runner. Only 47 more days until first marathon. Crikey. Alas, only one way to improve.

Aside from that, there's an outside chance I'll get to race in the Cherry Blossom 10 miler which is held the week after the marathon. Too much perhaps?

No comments: