Monday, February 4, 2008

Exhaustion

Sunday I took a 37 mile ride or so - a bit over two hours - and when I came home I wanted to go for a run, but I couldn't. I was dead tired and I took a nap instead. My sense after reading as much as I have about endurance conditioning is that when your body says sleep, you sleep.

Earlier in the day, I got up to go to a swim clinic at 7AM. After a few adjustments, including learning to keep my head higher up and not to pull across my body, I felt like I was swimming much better. I spent some time in the pool today after an hour spin and some leg strength work, and it felt pretty good. Consistency as a swimmer would do much to boost my confidence.

Hoping to revive two-a-day-Tuesdays with an early swim and bike tomorrow. Who knows though. If so, then a run after work, followed by cardio, spin, and yoga. Whew. Will be sure to bring a cliff bar or two.

Finally, I started back on oatmeal at breakfast today. I think it may take some discipline. The idea is that it's a low glycemic carbohydrate, meaning that it takes one's body a considerable amount of time to steal energy from the oats, so it last quite a while as a source of energy. Only time will tell if it works.

No comments: