Sunday, February 17, 2008

Lots of Distance, Lots of News

So, a busy week and very little posting. A couple of neat things. First off:

Wow, so I did some long rides. Saturday - a group ride w/local tri club of about 55 miles give or take (GPS failed during beginning and end of ride). It was pretty fast - for that reason I tend to be wary of riding in groups. I wasn't entirely paying attention and didn't realize that half the ride turned back, so I was stuck with a few guys who are a bit more advanced than I, but I held my own, I think validating the early base prep.

Sunday, I did 102 miles. This was my longest ride ever. I did it in a slow 6:30, which kept me in the right heart rate zone at around 127 BPM. I'm happy with the effort. I downed some Endurox when I got home and so hopefully tomorrow I'll feel recovered enough to do maybe 70 or so. While I was out, I listened to an abridged version of The Best and the Brightest - one of my faves.

In other news, I've mortgaged my future a bit. First off, I'm registered for the Black Bear 1/2 Iron now, as well as the NJ State Champs, in June and July respectively. In order to prep for the second half of the season, and for a little fun, I've signed up for a training camp in the Pyrenees in late June. I'm very excited because it is going to be run by the guys from Ironman Talk, which is a podcast that gets me through a lot of long rides. I've never been to France, so it should be good times.

Secondly, I've put a deposit down on a bike. It's a bit expensive, but it's a solid bike and they're quite in demand. I rationalize it by thinking that I'm so much healthier now than I was a year ago, and if I keep competing, I'll only get into better shape. It's not just aerobic capacity either, its also that I'm sleeping better hours, and eating much healthier as well. I definitely have a lot more respect for my body.

Speaking of which, time for bed. Hopefully up early tomorrow for a swim - possibly in a new wetsuit?

No comments: